Celebrating festival with enthusiasm is most beautiful thing in our life. Holi is one such festival. We shall enjoy this festival of colors with some precautionary measures. Hair and Skin gets directly exposed to chemically harmful colors. Even dry colors do harm Hair in multiple ways. Let us get aware of some of the harmful effects of color on Hair. We can avoid many negative consequences.
Dry Colors : Dry colors or Gulal may contain many harmful chemicals, shiny particles of mica and even lead. All these elements gets accumulated on scalp. It makes scalps and follicles dry. Hair looses moisture in it. Such Hair becomes vulnerable and starts breaking.
Wet Colors and Pastes : Wet Colors and Pastes available in market may contain Copper Sulphate, Aluminium Bromide, Prussian Blue, Mercury Sulphite and many more. These chemicals directly attack Hair and later Hair washing and drying becomes cause of hair-fall. These chemicals keep their bad effect for longer time with us.
Let us know how protect our Hair from adverse effects of Holi Colors.
Precautions to protect Hair Damage during Holi!Simple measures everyone should follow :
- Avoid using artificial / chemical colors to play Holi.
- Try to reduce direct exposure of colors to Hair and Skin.
- Try not to be in direct sunlight while playing colors.
- Apply leave-on conditioner or Hair-Serum ahead of playing colors.
- Applying coconut oil to hair and scalp will help in retaining moisture (night before).
- Cut off split ends as synthetic colors make Hair dry leading to more split ends.
- After playing Holi wash your Hair with plenty of normal water (do not use hot water) and then wash with mild shampoo.
- Hot water leads to drier hair and so more damage.
- Avoid using blow dryers as it leads Hair damage and Hair-fall.
- After Hair-wash applying lemon juice to Hair and scalp is a good option as it restores acid-alkaline balance.