After getting your hair smoothened, it’s essential to take good care of your hair to maintain the results and keep your hair healthy. Here are some hair care tips to follow after hair smoothening:
- Wait before washing: Avoid washing your hair for at least 72 hours after the smoothening treatment. This allows the product to set in and gives longer-lasting results.
- Use sulfate-free shampoos: Choose a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo designed for chemically treated hair. Sulfates can strip away the treatment and make your hair more prone to damage.
- Condition regularly: Invest in a good-quality, deep conditioning treatment to keep your hair nourished and hydrated. Apply it once a week or as recommended by your stylist.
- Avoid heat styling: Refrain from using heat styling tools like flat irons, curling irons, and blow dryers too often, as they can cause damage to the smoothened hair.
- Protect from sun and chlorine: Excessive exposure to the sun can fade your hair color and weaken the treatment. If you swim in chlorinated water, wear a swim cap to protect your hair or rinse your hair thoroughly with plain water immediately after swimming.
- Avoid tying hair tightly: Avoid tight ponytails or hairstyles that can cause tension and breakage, especially in the first few weeks after smoothening.
- Trim regularly: Schedule regular hair trims to prevent split ends and maintain the overall health of your hair.
- Use a wide-tooth comb: Gently detangle your hair with a wide-tooth comb to avoid unnecessary strain on the hair strands.
- Apply hair serums or oils: Use a small amount of hair serum or lightweight hair oil to keep your hair smooth and frizz-free.
- Sleep on silk or satin pillowcases: Cotton pillowcases can cause friction and lead to frizziness. Silk or satin pillowcases are gentler on your hair and help maintain the smoothness.
- Avoid excessive touching: Try not to run your fingers through your hair too often as the oils from your hands can transfer to your hair, making it greasier.
- Avoid harsh chemicals: Minimize the use of hair products that contain harsh chemicals like sulfates, parabens, and alcohol.
- Maintain regular touch-ups: Depending on your hair’s growth rate and the type of smoothening treatment, you may need touch-ups every few months. Consult with your stylist to determine the best timeline for touch-ups.
Remember that different hair types and smoothening treatments may have specific care requirements, so always follow the advice given by your hairstylist for the best results. With proper care, your smoothened hair can look beautiful and stay healthy for an extended period.
A hair doctor can offer personalized advice based on your specific needs and help ensure that the hair smoothening is compatible with your hair and scalp condition. They can also address any concerns or questions you may have, providing you with a comprehensive understanding of the potential risks and benefits of the treatment.
Dr. Satish Vaishnav
Hair Doc, Trichology Expert, Hair Clinic
Thane, Pune, Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar, Pimpri-Chinchwad