In the beauty world,split hair or split ends is officially known as trichoptilosis. There are several reasons why split ends occur.
Some causes include:
- Excessive use of hot styling tools (irons, hot curlers, blow dryers,hot combs)
- Overuse of chemical treatments (relaxers, perms, hair color)
- Use of inferior styling tools that rip or snag hair (cheap synthetic brushes or combs, brush rollers, etc)
- Environmental damage from heat, cold, wind and other climate issues.
- Lack of routine maintenance such as regular trimming
- Improper detangling techniques
- Use of inferior hair care products
- Excessive use of styling products such as gels, waxes and sprays
- Trimming with inferior scissors
There are other causes for split ends beside some of the main ones mentioned above.Other causes could be excessive tangling, improper application or removal of hair extensions, headgear that snaps or rips delicate strands or even scratchy bedclothes, fingers or hands.